There are several options when it comes to free Minecraft server hostings. But not all of them are worth to try. And I will say this, in the beginning, none of these free options is as good as Realms. I should say this right in the beginning. Yes, you can play on free servers and do almost anything that you would like. But there are several limitations. With a free server, you won’t be having a good ping, and the server will be laggy at times for sure. And there is not backup usually. Which is frustrating, and the main reason why I use paid options when I am playing myself. Anyway, I have tested 15 different Minecraft server hosting free of any charge, and here are the results!
- Can you host a Minecraft server for free?
- Who is the best free Minecraft server provider?
- Can I recommend any other free Minecraft server hosting?
- Any other decent free server hosting for Minecraft
- If I decide to upgrade to paid hosting, which one is the best?
- My last thoughts
Can you host a Minecraft server for free?
Yes, you can! In this article, I will teach you how you can set up your server free of any cost. I will show you step by step process how to set it up properly. And no, this is not a free trial for the next 30 days. You can use this server for as long as you would like, and all of that is for free. I have tested 15 different providers and picked the best one! I will also touch on if this server runs 24/7 if you can use mods and plugins. And lastly, what kind of paid server is the best on the market right now for a reasonable price.
Who is the best free Minecraft server provider?
After testing 15 different free Minecraft server hosting providers, I have to admit that minehut.com is providing the best hosting out of all of them. And the difference in performance is quite significant. This was the only server on which I was able to play 24/7 without any lags. Not only that, they have the most significant community forum, where others can help you set up everything, even if you need more advanced setup. Their server has DDoS protection, also though they are for free. Not only that, they have 300 plugins, that are ready to install, so you can easily customize your free server.
How to Make a Minecraft Server for Free
Creating a free Minecraft server is not as hard as you might think. Even a complete newbie can do it, with the following tutorial.
- Open your browser
- Go to Minehut.com website
- Click on the button in the middle of the page with the text “Get Started.”
- Now click on the button with the text “Don’t have an account.” This button is the left bottom corner on the login page.
- Input a valid email address, and you will need to verify it later on
- Check all of the boxes. If you are not over 13 years old, you can’t sign up on Minehut.com, so in that case, do not check all of the boxes.
- Click on the button with the text “Continue.” It is in the bottom right corner of the site.
- Verify your mine hut account by clicking on the link in your email. If you have not received an email from mine hut about verifying your account within 5 to 15 minutes, check your spam folder also
- Click on the button, “Continue.”. Apply the verification code from the email, and it should redirect you to the password setting page.
- Choose your password, please use better password than minecraf123
- Click on the button with the text “Continue.” Which will finally redirect you to set the free Minecraft server
- Choose the name of the server, can’t be longer than ten characters and cannot contain any special characters
- Choose a server type
- Now you have to choose between Pocket Edition and Java edition. You will have to check what version of the Minecraft you have
- Click on the button with the text “Create.” Right below the server type
- Now click on the button with the text “dashboard.” If you do not see that yet, refresh the web page several times while still logged in
- Activate the server!
- Go to “server-status” and find out the server’s IP address.
How to connect to free Minecraft server hosting from Minehunt
- Start Minecraft
- Click on Play
- Choose Multiplayer/Choose servers tab
- Direct connect/Add server
- Enter the IP address of your server from Minehunt
- Join Server/Play
What can I customize
You can adjust maxim players on the server. But keep in mind that the upper limit for free hosting from minehunt is only ten players tops.
You can change the server domain name. Also, you can change the description of the server and even if you want your server to be public or unlisted. I prefer to create unlisted because you can invite the people who you want to play with a direct link, and no one else will be bothering you on your server. All of these settings could be changed and find in the Server Appearance tab.
Also, you can change several properties of the server, like enabling or disabling PVP.
And you can change your world seed settings or restart your world.
Can I recommend any other free Minecraft server hosting?
Yes, I can. The difference between this one and Minehut is quite significant. But out of all 15 providers, this is the only one that I could recommend you to try.
It is not as easy to install as a free server from Minehut. But the server is decent. It has two cores and one Gb of ram. Even though it is a free service, you will have a disk quota of 5Gb. Unlike others, it has DDoS protection like Minehut. And also, what other service providers won’t give you access to is to your FTP. You can use the FTP manager, or you can connect via FTP and download your files or upload new ones. The maximum server capacity is only ten players, which is the same as a server from Minehut. You will also have a plugin installer enabled, and you will be able to install up to 10 plugins.
You can get this free Minecraft hosting at server.pro.
What is this hosting missing?
- Modpack Support
- Game Firewall
- Custom JAR files are not enabled
- It is not ad-free
- There can be only one Admin
- And no daily or weekly backups, no backups at all
Any other decent free server hosting for Minecraft
Unfortunately no. I was only satisfied with the results of testing server.pro and mine hut Minecraft free servers. All of the rest were either to slow, had a horrible connection. Their uptime wasn’t 24/7. Or they had poor reviews on Twitter and Reddit. None of them had mods enabled. And lastly, they did not have DDoS protection and backups. And most of them were not user-friendly. The setups took me quite some while, and if it were not for Reddit, I would not be able to set up most of them. And some of them were only for 30 days as a free trial without the option of downloading the files via FTP. So no, I can recommend only these two providers.
If I decide to upgrade to paid hosting, which one is the best?
If you ever decide to upgrade your Minecraft hosting. I have only one recommendation, and that is Minecraft Realms. This is so far the best option that you can use now in 2019 and beyond. Not only that, these servers are from provided almost from developers of this game. But they are also working tightly with Microsoft. These servers have the best uptime stats and ping stats. I have been using their hosting for several months now, and I m more than satisfied. And I cam recommending these to every other player. Do you know why? Because they are worth the money. And if you check the pricing of the competition, they are usually cheaper than their competition, and they provide far better service than others. Their servers are the most secured Minecraft servers I have ever come across, and they do daily backups and much more!
How much does it cost to host a Minecraft server?
The price of the Minecraft server is dependent on several factors. If you want a regular server for free, you can. I wrote a tutorial above this for it, and you can play there with up to 9 other friends. But if you want to play with a larger group of players. You will need a better server, and it won’t be free this time if you would like to play with 20 to 30 other players. You will need at least a server with 3 Gbs of ram and preferably four-core CPU. Set up like this can cost anywhere from $10 up to $50 per month.
But my recommendation is still to use Realms. They are genuinely the best providers of these servers. The only downside to them is that they do not let you use mods. If you need mods-enabled, you will have to suck it up and pay at least $10 monthly for a Minecraft server or more!
My last thoughts
There is no question that Minehut free Minecraft server hosting is the best one out of all free hostings. If you, for some reason, cannot use their services or sing up on their website. I can also recommend server.pro as an alternative. But the truth to be told I would give Minehut 10/10 rating and to server.pro only 7/10. The server from Minehut was a lot mare stable without any lags. And they have a much more massive library of plugins, which are ready to install. Overall their servers have fewer restrictions in regards to the server settings and limits.
And on top of that, they have their forum, when mods and other users will help you resolve your server related issues, which is the best feature. Because in the begging I had no idea how to set up servers, now I do thanks to their forum. Usually, if I have some error with my server, I can find the solution/answer on their forum, this is truly helpful.